I know...
(GASP!)... two blog posts so close in a row. (I actually started this post the day after my last one, but, alas, VBS was last week and so more time passed and uploading pictures takes a
long time sometimes!) Take a deep breath, and then let it out slowly if you need to. And another. Alright, think you're okay now and we can move on to the subject of this post:
Rebekah!
We have quickly fallen in love with this little girl. I am especially happy that she has been a great eater from Day 1. Even in the hospital when I didn't have milk for her yet, she was literally gulping the colostrum and pooping like crazy! Even during those first few weeks, which are definitely the roughest, she was great--she'd wake up to eat throughout the night but then go right back to sleep. I attribute this phenomenon I didn't know existed with a newborn to one thing.
Swaddling.
With James, I never really did swaddling because I didn't know how and I felt bad like I was restricting him. Then, sometime since having him, I heard the logic behind it and it made sense to me. It actually helps them feel more secure like they did when they were all scrunched up in the womb. It worked beautifully and I was able to get sleep in between those feedings. It also helped I didn't have to spend an hour nursing her (constantly trying to keep her awake with cold washcloths on bare skin while falling asleep myself) and then another 20 minutes pumping just to get an extra ounce like I did with James. It is heavenly to have a baby that knows how to eat in the middle of the night because I'm sure that helped her sleep so much better, too!
So, Rebekah (6lb. 2oz) started out way below what James (6lb. 15oz.) weighed at birth. But, because she actually ate, she started gaining weight so much faster! I was shocked when the doctor didn't want to see me for another month at her 2 week check since I was used to going so often with my lazy eater. She currently weighs about 12 pounds, but we'll go this Wednesday for another well visit and find out her actual weight. This time around, we're also just doing one shot a month and not the multiple shots at each visit. Even though James turned out fine with the multiple shots, we just wanted to do it for our own peace of mind and their doctor is completely fine with whatever makes us comfortable. I. love. Dr. Gwynn!!!
Here are some pics with short stories/ descriptions to catch you up. I know it's been a long time comin' but ENJOY!
First month:
2/14/09 - We celebrated Valentine's Day in the hospital with our new bundle of joy. Actually, we got to take our littlest Valentine home that evening. These are some of the pics I took after the photographer left in the morning. Newborns are just so cute... and this preemie outfit my mom brought to us at the hospital was pink and frilly and oh so ~girly~!
Usually in the hospitals down here they're pushing you out the door 48 hours on the dot from the time of birth (if not before) and since she was born early in the afternoon at 1:24, we made plans for a delicious Italian Valentine dinner at our house with my parents. However, our departure got delayed while waiting for the bili blanket... therefore our plans for a yummy dinner at home with Grandma and Grandpa got changed. Didn't get pics of it, but that evening, my wonderful parents came to the hospital and brought pizza (YUM!) and Coke!

2/16/09 - Our first trip out as a family of four. We went to Central Park (in Plantation) since the doctor had said to take her off the bili blanket (for jaundice) and get her out in the sunshine so we could see if her levels continued to go down even off the blanket. You can tell from the picture how much she enjoyed the park. Seriously though it was really good for all of us (especially James) to get out of the house. He had a great time at the park, as he usually does.

2/18/09 - James finally said he wanted to hold his baby sister. She even looked right up at him and smiled a little. It was really sweet! And morning family time on the bed just grows sweeter and sweeter...

2/22/09 - Grandma & Grandpa stopped by on their way home from church to see 10-day-old Rebekah.

Pops and Grandmommy came by later in the evening. Rebekah was showing off by holding her head up really well. Even in the hospital she had started picking her head up like that. Of course, half the time, she would just bang her face back into our shoulder but she actually gained pretty good control of it by the end of that first month. I love how she's smiling a little bit in this picture, too.

2/23/09 - Uncle Ryan met Rebekah for the first time on his lunch break since he was down in our area for work. He even brought lunch! =o)

3/5/09 - 3 weeks old -Her cord fell off and we were finally able to give her a
real bath! That baby sling in the bath is the best! She loved it until we took her out!

3/2/09 - Rebekah looking cute. Bald, but cute. She really didn't have much hair when she was born and it isn't in any hurry to grow in.

3/8/09 - She started smiling around 3 weeks. I love it when they start responding! It's like a reward for all the hard work we put in as mommies!

3/10/09 - Peekaboo! This is by far one of her favorite positions to be held in... and by one of her favorite people-- the one and only POPS!
Second month:

3/13/09 - Having some girl time with "Aunt Elaine"

3/16/09 - Rebekah and mommy napping on the bed together. They look so peaceful when they sleep.


3/18/09 - She loves bath time and didn't even mind when I would turn her over to wash her back. Where can I get one of those "bath hammocks" for me?!?

3/25/09 - We had her swaddled and sleeping at the foot of our bed in the bassinet Lisa gave us before we had James through the first couple months. Between James and Rebekah it's been used by several friends (one of them used it
twice since him). My plan is to let other people use it till the next one comes along... hopefully not for a couple years.

3/27/09 - Look at that double chin!! I'm not used to having a baby that gains weight so quickly!
I absolutely LOVE all the girly clothes!!! So, here are some pics and the dates they were taken:

3/27/09 - This adorable outfit is from the Hunters (Eric, Heather, Garrett, & Bayleigh). I was so sad when she outgrew it!

4/3/09 - Strike a pose! This was one of my favorites, too, and it actually had a matching sweater that went with the shirt and cord pants, too. It was a gift from a lady at church named Andrea and her 6-yr-old daughter, Joanna (who James calls "Miss Joanna"). Wait till later this summer when you'll see the incredibly adorable bathing suit she gave her, too! We have such generous and amazing friends at church!

4/5/09 - This very delicate onesie is from a boutique on Las Olas and was a baby shower gift from Diane, a sweet lady who leads a mom's once-a-month bible study at church. I love how it looks like Rebekah is about to wink in this picture.
Now back to some other pics:

4/2/09 - It was sometime during the second month that I started using cloth diapers on Rebekah. So, for those of you who are into cloth diapering, I'll give you the lowdown. I have prefolds and use them sometimes, but I've really grown to LOVE the Kissaluvs. And after trying several different kinds of covers, I think the Thiristies covers are definitely my favorite... with Bummis right behind them. I'll probably do a whole post on the cloth diapering because there's still so much I want to say, but I'll leave it at that for now.

4/2/09 - I love this picture of her having a staring contest with the frog on her tummy time mat. I think she's winning!

4/3/09 - Bath pictures are the best!

4/7/09 - Went to the park with friends for the first time! My friend, Emily, is introducing her daughter, Hannah, to Rebekah. (I
love her painted finger nails...it's probaby too early to think about doing that for Rebekah, huh?)

4/10/09 - Look how great she does on her tummy time by the end of her 2nd month! Most of the time she actually likes
it, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment