Monday, August 18, 2008

James ~25 months old~

I love doing these updates each month to reflect on how James has grown and to look back each year to see how much he's changed. He is talking in full phrases all the time now and pretty full sentences a lot of the time, too. He definitely knows how to express himself! This definitely helps us know what he wants or needs, which I love. I think that "in between time" when they understand what they're saying before we do is the hardest and most frustrating for both the child and the parents! I'm glad we're past that for the most part.

I'm really enjoying this age a lot! He's so fun-loving, so genuinely funny, and so darn cute so much of the time! We find ourselves many mornings, especially, on the bed just hanging out and laughing... sometimes breaking out into spontaneous tickles and giggling! Lately, Matt has come home from work and stayed up until James wakes up so that I can get some extra (and much needed!) sleep. After James wakes up, he changes his diaper, feeds him breakfast, and even just lets him play for a bit before sending him in to wake up mommy. I really appreciate him doing this so I can get some extra sleep! After working all night, he comes home and takes care of James so I can sleep a little longer; he's such an awesome husband! Like I said before, too, after James and daddy come in to wake up mommy, we usually just hang out on the bed for a while together before daddy goes to sleep. It really is a special time for us as a family!

Not to brag, but... James, thankfully, has developed some incredible manners lately, too. He usually says "peas" (please) when he wants something, although sometimes he still needs to be reminded. He also spontaneously says "tank you" (thank you) most of the time without a reminder now. For a bit there, he was getting confused because after he'd say, "Tank you" we'd say, "You're welcome!" so then he latched onto that phrase and would say that instead of thank you. I think it's pretty much straightened out now. It really is sweet when he says these things without being asked; let's hope it continues!

He's not always this sweet and well-mannered, though. Occasionally, he still decides to throw a fit and we usually just ignore it, which usually helps it to quickly dissipate. Most of the time he's still his easy-going self. I'm so thankful that's his personality, because I think it will really help when we have another little one in the mix. Of course, we don't know what this little one's temperment will be or how James will react to having some "competition" for our attention, but at least we can hope James will remain pretty even-tempered (after a period of adjustment of course).

His imagination continues to become more evident. Ever since he's seen the movie Cars he's loved playing with his little matchbox-type cars that we got out of a cereal box. One day, probably a little over a month ago, I even heard him saying "Speed, I am speed!" when he was playing with them... just like McQueen does in the movie! Of course, now he really loves playing with the "Nickel Crane" (what he calls Lightning McQueen... as you can understand, that one took me a bit to figure out!) that he got for his birthday from Grandma and Grandpa, as well as the bigger one that was on his "yummy cake." He also actually started using his Fisher Price barn as car garage. He calls it his garage, too! It's so funny! Occasionally he'll try to put some of his bigger cars (and the fire truck Uncle Stephen and Aunt Jamie gave him) into the "garage" but they don't fit and he gets a bit frustrated, saying "Help!" (in a very frustrated tone) like Matt and I can make it work somehow. Oh well, he'll learn...

Here are some recent pictures of our "big boy:"


7/31/08 - Daddy and James time... James has really enjoyed looking at a picture album from when he was born. He names just about everybody in the pictures, too!


8/16/08 - When I heard James say, "Bear's gonna drive!" a couple days ago, I had to turn around to see what he was doing. He had him sitting on his little fire truck and of course, by the time I snatched up my camera and got over to where he was playing, he was already taking Bear out of the fire truck.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
James just one year ago...
13 months old

Daddy, James, Pops and Mommy at the Hansens' pool.
James and Grandma in the pool at the Hansens' house.


7/28/07 - "Big Daddy" and "Big Momma" (as they want James to call them), my grandparents, came down a bit after James' birthday to celebrate since several people, including James, were sick right around his birthday. It was nice having them down for a special visit.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
James just two years ago...
1 month old


This is actually his first bath at 3 weeks, after his cord finally fell off!

He loved his first bath... and once he was dried and warm in his towel, he was very content.


We'd lay him on our nice comfy bed to sleep when he was really little and just keep an eye on him to make sure he didn't move too much.

Comforting himself by sucking on his fist after crying because he's having "tummy time" and doesn't like it.

Falling asleep after wearing himself out crying during "tummy time."


We started to see his first smiles around one month old!

2 comments:

Stephen Cochrane said...

In the first picture of James at 13 months old, Pops has a really evil look on his face. Just saying.

Emmy said...

I remember that little face so well! The first time I saw him just hours after he was born, I knew he was a little Matt. He is such a sweet boy!!!!
Hope your move is going well!