Matt and I chatted in the car on the way to Dr. Stone's office and he was encouraging me everything was going to be okay. I knew that but I was still nervous. He also said if I could have a baby, I could do this. I agreed, but at the same time after going through labor, that's just it... I actaully had a baby! After this, I'd have pain but nothing to kiss and cuddle and take my mind off of the pain.
My appointment was at 9:00am and we arrived right on time. I was armed with the iPod, which Matt had preloaded with some worship & country music, ready to drown out any unpleasant sounds. They took me back immediately (no more time to think about what I was about to do!) and I shared with the assistant my apprehension about the shots, since I'd never had one before. She assured me, as she hooked me up to a blood pressure cuff and heart monitor, that Dr. Stone would thoroughly numb my gums so I wouldn't even feel the shots. That made me feel at least a little better.
Dr. Stone came in a few minutes later and stuck these 4 skinny "sticks" way back in my mouth with some kind of numbing jelly on them. It tasted pretty nasty but it did the trick because I could feel my gums getting numb. I was just thinking, "What you have to do, do quickly." The shots weren't as bad as I thought they'd be since my gums were pretty numb. I did feel a little bit but not much.
I'll spare you the details of the surgery (since I was awake for it) but I will say that Dr. Stone worked very quickly and he even gave me a few more shots during the procedure when I thought I might be feeling something. Amazingly, he was done by 9:45! He even showed me one of the teeth after he was all done... it was HUGE!
Afterward, we went to fill the prescriptions at Walgreens for pain medicine and antibiotics. I've been very faithfully taking the pain medicine and can't wait till 10:00 when I can take my next dose! I definitely like having all the feeling back in my mouth to be able to swallow my medicine without having it all just dribble out... but that also means I feel all the pain, which stinks!
James was very excited about watching "Cars!"
We moved our mattress out to the living room so I could watch movies and just relax. James doesn't quite know what to think. My mom brought him back home when she came to check my gauze and bring frozen peas with a special headband Ryan used after having his wisdom teeth taken out. We even let James watch the movie "Cars" with us (and Grandma) yesterday before his nap. It was his very first full-length movie and he LOVED it! Last night it was hard to sleep because I'm not used to sleeping sitting up and I was still just really uncomfortable! However, between sitting up, applying ice, and the fact that all my teeth were completely erupted, I haven't had much swelling at all.
I was still numb and the peas worked great as ice packs... thanks Mom!
Matt has been wonderful... waiting on me and taking care of James so I can rest and recover! Also, my parents took James yesterday afternoon since I wasn't exactly feeling up to watching him and Matt had only had about 2 hours of sleep in the previous 30 hours since he'd worked Monday night. That was definitely a rough day. Today was better, but I'm still in pain. My stomach rumbles and I swallow more water or a smoothie or a milkshake to try to quiet it down. I'll be glad when my mouth doesn't hurt anymore and I can eat real food... and I'm glad I'll never ever have to do this again!


3 comments:
good for you. i had my wisdom teeth out during college - not easy or comfortable. I loved milkshakes. continue to take your pain meds and keep the packs on them. hope you continue to feel better. you look great.
I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly numbed. I know you were anxious about that. It sounds like Matt has been a very attentive husband, how sweet!
Glad that everything went ok, Karen. My Samuel LOVES the Cars movie. :)
Post a Comment