Sunday, April 6, 2008

B is for...


(I know what some of you are thinking...Mom. NO, it's not for baby!)

James' vocabulary is virtually exploding! Yesterday he said 3 new words I've never heard him say, and they all began with the letter B. (Just as a side note, Matt and I got him some foam letters to stick on the walls and the tub when he's taking his bath so we can familiarize him with the letters of the alphabet. We just started with A,B,C and 1,2,3. Well, he recognizes letters when he sees them, but they are all "B" to him...along with all numbers! =o)

So, anyway, back to his three new words... He saw my belly button yesterday morning when I was getting dressed, and he said, "belly" out of nowhere! I was so excited! Then, when Matt was going in to go to sleep after working all night, I told him to tell daddy, "bye, bye" and he usually just waves but this time he actually said it! Then, in the afternoon, after he woke up from his nap, he had some cheerios in a bowl on the coffee table I was letting him munch on. But, when he decided to take a handful out and put them on the table, I told him he needed to put them back in the bowl and not to play with them on the table... and would you believe he said the word "bowl" as clear as you or I would!?!

When we were shopping for groceries early last week, we were in the produce section and I was looking at the apples. I try to talk to James when we're at the grocery store about what we see and use it as a teaching time. So, I was looking at the apples and pointing out that there are all different colored apples... I showed him a red apple, green apple, yellow apple... and suddenly he said clear as anything... "apple!" That same day, he also was standing up and then sitting down on a little couch my parents got him for Christmas and he always says "up" but then usually just sits down without saying anything. This time, though, he actually said "dona" (down)! The day before that had been a stormy day and it was raining and even thundering a little. Well, he does the sign for "rain" but doesn't say it yet. He looked a little concerned when we heard the thunder, so I reassured him by telling him it was just thunder and he didn't have to be scared. I kept repeating the word "thunder" and next thing I know, James is saying "funner" (thunder). The day before that, he said "dirt" at Grandma & Grandpa's house after knocking over some small plant containers and helping Grandpa clean up the dirt and put it back in the pots. Needless to say, I've been quite impressed with his exploding vocabulary lately!

Other words James says at the present time, in the order he first said them:
dada (daddy-1st word at 7 1/2 months), ight (light), ath (bath), mama (but only once, the week after Mother's Day... and I wouldn't hear it again for months!), guck (truck- still a favorite!), yum-yum, woof (dog- soon turned to dof, a combination of woof and dog, I think), irt (shirt), go go (while reading book Go, Dog, Go! with Daddy), mama/mommy (finally I was validated when he was 16 months old!), happy, Papa (Pops), Dee-Dee (Aunt Dee), Cole/Nicole (he knows 2 Nicoles... Wendt & Clark), up (when he'd stand up from his little couch, a Christmas present from Grandma & Grandpa), cold, shoe, sock, bib, itsy bitsy, th mmm (the moon), ba (ball), funny, bunny, money, signed "thank you," beep, bup (bump... from the book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish- what they do on the hump of the "Wump"), hop (from the Fish book also- what the "Yop" does) , gaga (water), mmm (moo- very similar to moon, but no "the" in front), bus (which he actually identifies correctly most times!), baa (sheep's sound...sometimes very fierce tone), meow (in a really cute high-pitched tone), bissy (strawberry), derr (door),... (more to come because I know I've forgotten some here).

James loves to play with his trucks and lines them up like this himself!


The words I forgot before... and I don't know how because some of them are his most common words!... vee (fish- which he says all the time for his "Fish book" by Dr. Seuss and his goldfish crackers), nana (banana... also his Great Grandma's "name"), baby (what he calls his glow worm and his bear blanket), bubble (a word he learned at Grandma & Grandpa's house around Christmas time - story to follow in future post), dodder (washer- an entire post will be devoted to this soon, too... and it will be a good one!), juice, eye, knee (which he says in his sad, whiny voice because he learned it after he started falling down and scraping his knees), tease (keys), VeeVee (Avery- Emily's little boy), and Colee/Codee (Corduroy- one of his favorite books). If you know of any other words I'm forgetting, please let me know! I'll do updates on James' new words periodically so keep checking back! =o)

James loves to climb up in the glider (that I used to nurse him in!) and read his books. He is such a ham sometimes!

2 comments:

Ben and Erin said...

Hi Karen! I've been looking at your blog for weeks now too and I'm so glad to see your sweet little James. What a cutie pie! It was fun to hear from you and I'm glad you are checking our blog out too. James seems to be in such a fun stage. I can't wait to hear Clare clearly say words. What an exciting time as a parent! I know you were thrilled to hear him saying new words. Sounds like he is really progressing. I love how you listed all the words he says, and how he says them. :) Keep the updates coming, I love to read them. It's good to connect with you and Matt again. Have a great week!
love, Erin

Unknown said...

Aren't new words just the most thrilling thing as a mommy?! Every day I am amazed as Trey learns to communicate verbally more and more. Trey's favorite words are "cord" (pronounce more like "core" - Daddy's a techie, what can I say?) and "no no" sometimes said while wagging his little finger in front of something he's not supposed to touch. Our "babies" are growing up :::sigh:::

Oh, and we have those same cars! The blue one with the flowers is my favorite. :)