Sunday, April 13, 2008

Losing my wisdom...

...my wisdom teeth, that is.

Well, I have finally decided (with much encourage-ment from my husband) to go ahead and have my wisdom teeth removed. Sometimes I think I should have done it a long time ago (like when I still lived with my parents and they could pay for it!)...hahaha =o)

Dentists have given me differing opinions over the years regarding my wisdom teeth. Some said if I can stand the pain of them coming in, that I have plenty of room and could keep them. (No comments from the peanut gallery about a big mouth or anything!) Others have said they're a bit concerned about how close the roots of my lower ones are to the lingual nerve (the nerve that runs along the jaw line). I recently saw a new dentist and he said I really should just go ahead and have the widsom teeth removed. I was going to protest because of those dentists that said I have room for them, and because of the fact that they were already all completely through the gums (after all, they only bother me every once in a while). However, when I started contemplating how my mother-in-law had to have hers removed just a few years ago that got me thinking. I really don't want to have to do this later in life when I could just do it now while I'm young and could recover more quickly and possibly have less complications.

Anyway, we decided that while we still only have one child and while we have excellent insurance with Matt's job that I should go ahead and just get it done. The insurance covers the extractions completely and I saw that it even covered IV sedation completely so finally I resolved to be okay with this plan. The dentist could knock me out and then I'd just wake up and not remember a thing when it was over. I wouldn't hear anything or be aware of anything during the procedure so this plan was perfect. I'd take a little nap and then just wake up and it would be over, done, fine!

My plan was thwarted, however... When I went in a few weeks ago for my initial consultation, I was informed that my insurance actually does not cover the drugs to put me out completely! (In fact, it would cost us $500 to use those wonderful drugs.) It doesn't even cover the Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) to just make me go to "lala land" while they do it. (That would be around $275!) Of course, the local anesthesia (aka SHOTS... 4 around each tooth to be exact!) is covered completely... $0 copay. Surely they had to be wrong!

I came home and told Matt what the lady had said; he said there's no way we should spend that kind of money on something that could be free if I just had the shots. I knew he was right, but I still didn't want to hear it, so I held onto my last shred of hope that it was actually covered and the lady (who does this all the time) was actually wrong. After passionately sharing my thoughts that it actually should be covered according to our insurance, I went to my trusty "insurance file" to find the little booklet that listed all the dental services and the copays and there it was... $0 for IV sedation! I called the insurance company to double check and they confirmed it. So, you better believe I turned myself right back around and went to the oral surgeon's office to show them my little book and inform them I confirmed it with my insurance company, too.

The nice receptionist who I had talked to before (the one that told me it would cost $500 for my magic medicine) looked at it and studied the numbers that were before her in my trusty booklet. Then, she proceeded to educate me on the way they figure out the costs. Even though it says it covers IV sedation, the numbers in my booklet before that particular "dental service" (D9241 and D9242), are for a regular dentist ONLY. The oral surgeon is in the "Specialist" category, which means they only cover 20% of the cost under my insurance plan. The numbers they use, which she so kindly wrote in my trusty booklet to show me, are D9220, D9221, and D9230. My hopeful spirit was quickly crushed into many tiny pieces.

Reluctantly, I went ahead and made the appointment for Tuesday, April 15th at 12:00pm... local anesthesia only. UPDATE!! The surgery will now be at 9:00am because they had a cancellation!

I would like you all who read this before then to pray for me because I truly am nervous. I know it won't kill me and that people get shots in their mouths all the time, but I'm still nervous. After all, I've never had a shot in my mouth before (because I've never ever even had a cavity before!) Also, if they do get too close to that nerve, the doctor said I might have some weird sensations in my mouth, which doesn't sound too pleasant.

So, I will end this focusing on the positive things about this whole situation:

1. My teeth are all erupted, which makes it much faster and easier to remove them.
2. It will all be over in less than an hour (according to the oral surgeon).
3. The oral surgeon also claims it will be a quick recovery since they're all erupted and since I'm young.
4. If I do turn out to be pregnant this month, I don't have to worry about the IV sedation possibly hurting the baby. (MOM, please note, I said IF... Don't worry, I'm not keeping any information from anyone! When I know anything, you'll know...)
5. I might get to eat some ice cream, smoothies, etc, served by my loving husband. =o)
6. I only have one child right now who is pretty easygoing, and he can entertain himself much of the time.
7. Matt will be off and can help with James a little more on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday while I recover.
8. I will never ever have to do this again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey karen, sorry to hear the bad news about the insurance. I got my wisdom teeth pulled right after my first son was born for the same reasons. I only got the local too, and it wasn't too bad. I'm used to shots in the mouth, though, because of lots of cavities growing up. :( I will say a prayer for you!
Elly

Karla said...

Reason #9 to have this done is....
Your MOM has the day off from work and will be your private duty nurse. She will wait on you hand (or mouth) and foot. If you are good for the dentist mommy will give you some ICE CREAM !!!! haha..I saw the comment about not being pregnant -haha I'm watching you like a hawk!!!

Karen said...

Yes, that is a great Reason #9! Thanks, Mom! Also thanks to Emily who is bringing Matt & James dinner and me ICE CREAM! (I have a feeling it will be hard to smell such a yummy dinner and not get to eat any of it!) What great friends and family I'm blessed with!

Emmy said...

I hope it went well. You looked very sad when I dropped off your dinner. =( I hope that you feel better soon!