Friday, July 10, 2009

July 4th Fun

Better late than never, right?...

For the 4th of July this year, we had Pops, Grandmommy, and Aunt Dee over to our house to watch the fireworks, since we discovered on New Year's Eve that our neighbors do a HUGE fireworks display that rivals the city shows. My parents would have joined us as well, but they went down to the Keys to spend time with friends there and celebrate the 4th.

Seriously, though, it was BIG! Highly illegal, I'm sure. But also very, very entertaining... especially for a nearly 3 year old! At least this time around he knew what the fireworks were. He got a crash course on New Year's Eve but once he discovered the big BANG sounds were something not to be afraid of it was okay.

So, back to the 4th of July...

We had dinner together at our house... yummy steak, baked potatoes, salad... and, of course, watermelon on ice in teh cooler! Pops and Grandmommy had even bought one of those big packs of fireworks on display somewhere so we could light off some of our own fireworks for James. He loved it!

Here are some pics from our evening...

A family pic. As you can see, Rebekah, who is almost 5 months old, is getting big fast along with her big brother, James, who is almost 3 years old! I love our family of four!

The day wouldn't be complete without some ice cold watermelon, would it?

Rebekah wasn't too amused, but she did look cute in her red, white and blue! Next year, I'm sure she'll be able to appreciate it a lot more.

James, on the other hand, was just enamoured, enthralled, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Does this say AWE, or what?!...

...and this is pretty much how he looked much of the night. I'm surprised a "skeeto" (mosquito) didn't bite his tongue.


And the "skeetos" were biting! The adults put on LOTS of insect repellant, we sprayed James a little, and kept a close eye on Rebekah, but as you can see (by the "skeeto" on her forehead) some still managed to bite her. What else can you expect living in FL though?

We all had a great time and James did eventually go to sleep despite some bangs that continued late into the night. At least we know as long as we are living here (and our neighbors across the street are living there) we'll have some great fireworks displays right outside our front door. Gotta love that! Hope your 4th was full of fun celebration and jaw-dropping awe as well.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I hate blogger sometimes! For some reason it wouldn't line up the pictures with the comments like I had them when I wrote them. So, just try to match the pictures with each description. I guess that makes it kinda like a game! =o)